The “Sethusamudram Shipway” project proposes linking the Park Bay plus the Gulf of Mannar about the colonial of India by creating a shipping canal through Rameswaram Island, which may give you a continuous navigable sea route about the Indian Peninsula. The project involves digging a 44.9 nautical mile long channel.
Following the canal is constructed, the space between Cape Comorin and Chennai will be reduced to 402 nautical miles from the present 744. Further, the canal would considerably slow up the distance between your east plus the west coasts with travelling time coming down by 36 hours. It will also avoid circumnavigation of ships around Sri Lanka, thereby producing savings in fuel costs and standing charges linked to extra period of voyages.
The greatest beneficiary in the project are going to be Tuticorin harbor, containing the opportunity to change right transshipment hub including those in Singapore and Colombo. The project may also aid in the creation of the proposed 13 minor ports in Tamil Nadu. Around the flipside, the project will probably face stiff opposition from fisherman and environmentalists, that have already raising their collective voice against it.
The protests may not deter the costa rica government from continuing with the project as being the gains outweigh the losses.
Major Ports of India
- Mumbai- A natural and the biggest port of the country.
- Nhava Sheva- Highly mechanized port near Bombay. It will release pressure on the Mumbai port.
- Kandla- a tidal port, developed after partition. It is also developed to release the pressure on Bombay port.
- Kochi – Natural harbor on the Coast of Kerala, a naval port.
- Tuticorin- Recently developed on the eastern coast of India.
- Chennai- Oldest artificial harbor on the east coast of India.
- Vishakhapatnam – Deepest land locked protected port.
- Paradeep – Recently developed port on the coast of Orissa.
- Calcutta – A riverine port, located on the Hoogly River.
- Haldia – Recently developed to release Congestion at Calcutta.